Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The far right AND left scare me.

It was business as usual, my routine this morning. After a half asleep decent attempt to get ready, shove my uniform in the dryer for ten minutes to de-wrinkle, gulp down a cup of coffee, and get to work EARLY mind you, I found myself getting easily sidetracked 'upstairs'; If it wasn't for getting riled up at the news articles I read everyday, I'd worry that I was just another ignorant American.

In comes in my favorite eighty-something regular, nicknamed Duffy. Getting his signature senior citizen discounted small coffee with cream, I greet him everytime he arrives with a giant smile and a wave. Young for his age, Duffy is a bright blue eyed limber, smart, compassionate man. Once handed to him, he sits down at a table with his coffee, enjoys it slowly, and then leaves. Not usually one to pry into other conversations, he always looks like he has something interesting to say, so I take it upon myself to begin.

While a couple days ago we spoke of how the beautiful Farrah Fawcett was overshadowed by Michael Jackson's passing, today was different. I sensed in him the same agitation I felt, and I was first to let him know.

What started as a general brushing over of current events (or, me regailing him of what I'd read recently to break the sleepy spell we both seemed to be under) ended up with him telling me I should go into politics: from discussing the democrats overthrowing congress to dictatorships, I seemed to have his complete attention. And no where was he telling me I was wrong.

That's the thing, everyone wants to throw the old out the windows. Ratings came out recently indicating that Fox News is the number one rated network, and people sit there and have the audacity to say things like, "Of those two million viewers (oh right, two million) - most are old - and I can't wait until they pass." or, that they're all crazy. Where's the compassion for those who have lived through it all, the good and the bad?

I explained to him how I believe the two party system is defunct, and how there is a need for someone who is fiscally republican while being morally/humanitarily democratic, or something of the sort. "It's up to your generation to figure it out," Duffy said. "You need to get past the party boundaries." We spoke of the mountaneous debt facing and threatening to capsize us all. "I'm afraid it's even going to hit the tail end of our generation too," my dad said this evening after posing the same conversation onto him.

Many more recently have told me how I'm a very objective, collected person, and well, to consider politics - intrigues yet intimidates. I'm very good at making my case - but what would I do? What would I lobby and campaign for?

Oh right - getting my generation out of their perfunctory mindset. As I mentioned this to another bright, intelligent young woman of my age she said, "That's a difficult one." Yes, especially after they've been coddled: they think they're so important, that they don't do anything important. As generations go by and instant gratification worsens - so do the crops, and it takes a lot to get them back in shape. "I'm sick of newer generations getting sicker - mentally and physically," she said, to which I replied, "Well, it's like golden retrievers, you can't keep genetically rebreeding them; they get worse off everytime. Why do you think they're so easy to please?" and added a quip, "They'd bow down to a dictator, no problem."

Master! (This just made me think of Dug from the movie Up.)

Well, I think it's my new lifelong goal to attempt to get people of my age to see, whaaaaaat's goin' on, what's goin' on...

If that doesn't happen, I'm leaving one hell of a long ass note when I die saying "Shame on everyone." Better yet, it'll be on my tombstone.

3 comments:

Petros said...

I don't think you'll get elected with that platform. That's the problem, politicians are always talking down to people and complementing them. No one's gonna want to hear, "actually, all you guys are dumb."

Anonymous said...

Say what you want, but Obama was elected because of A: with so much anti-Bush and anti-Republican, it was high time the liberals took over, and B: Blacks, young whites, and Hispanics. I hate to turn this into a race issue, but it is, this country has been heading towards more social programs and more benefits for urban and suburban minorities, most of this "stimulus" money will be soaked up by urban projects that will either require minority workers per affirmative action, or benefit minority populations. Case in point, Obama is looking out for his "bros" and will spend the rest of this country's money to do so through wasteful spending and wealth redistribution.

I know, I voted for Obama, I bought into his pledges for change and hope, but I am slowly starting to realize now that he is just trying to slowly expand government to own and control every facet of your life, and he will succeed unless people start realizing that it is high time we stopped paying for the mistakes of our ancestors (lol slavery) and started working together as a country, all races, both sexes, to promote the "American Dream" the previous generations created for us.

Related, the New Haven Supreme Court case with the firefighters is a perfect example of what needs to be happening in this country, equality is about everyone being equal, not living in fear of retribution and restitution when you don't appease Jesse Jackson and his mafia-style racial rights tactics.

DeMorro said...

Karyn, don't go into politics. I hate politicians. I don't want to have to hate you too.

Our government isn't just dug in anymore though; they have completely fortified their position, becoming absolutely necessary to everyday life.

As I have always advocated, our only recourse as a free people is revolution. That is why the founding fathers ensured we had the right to bear arms, and I don't mean grizzly appendages.

And with revolution, must come anarchy.

Yummy. >:)